Friday, May 17, 2013

Elisa's not-so-excellent adventure

Yay!

I was able to download the blogger all from my iPhone!  It took 40 minutes :)

So...it took me 6 days to arrive at Shirati instead of 3.  

I was about 4 hours in to an 9 hour bus ride from Nairobi to the Tanzanian border town of Sirare/Isabanya, and was all excited and sleep deprived, writing down a ton of stuff for the blog on my laptop, taking photos of the awesome landscapes that we passed on the bus, only to have my bag stolen...and be left without a passport, all money, laptop, camera, and lots of other things...

After getting essentially no help from the local security, I sat on the bus for another 5 hours wondering what the hell I was going to do...when I got to the border I met Dr Chirangi who helped me find a place to sleep, since I didn't have a passport and wasn't allowed to cross in to Tanzania...  I had to file a police report, for which I got a 'receipt' on a torn of piece of paper the size of a passport photo.  

Long long long story short, I got a new passport at the embassy, filed another police report at the Diplomatic Police Station in Nairobi, and wasted 2 full extra days on the bus.

Some people on the bus told me that had they caught the guy then and there, he might have been killed by the locals.  It's another story I came across when I heard 2 Dutch med students had been robbed and they actually managed to catch the robber in their house - people asked them why they hadn't killed the guy.

Anyways, Tanzania has been great to me since I finally made it.  Next blog will be about the hospital!


Here's my police report:

My new passport!
My buddy Dan, a neurosurgery resident in Nairobi:
Emmanuel and Lucy, who let me stay at their home at the border and gave me a warm dinner!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you made it safely. I love the handwritten receipt! You seem to adapt really well in adverse situations.

    ReplyDelete