Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It sucks.

Just having a rough day, thinking about all the little boys near my hotel in Thamel who stumble around looking glassy-eyed, hair matted with dirt, feet barefoot and caked with dirt, with their bag of glue fumes pressed up against their faces.  During the daytime they all sleep on top of one another in little piles on the sidewalk, sometimes hard to believe they're all alive just laying there like that.  At night they're begging for food and water in between huffs.  How is that acceptable by any society's standards?  I'm not saying the Nepali society necessarily accepts it, but it's so in-your-face and utterly depressing, and there are police on the same block ignoring them just the same.   What am I supposed to think and feel when I see them?  How can I just walk by?  I want to scoop then all up and take them with me.  It sucks.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for these wonderful photos and descriptions....I hope you are safely home and look forward to meeting you in person at graduation

    ReplyDelete